Monday, August 2, 2010

Solomon Island Earrings

The thought of making earrings from paper makes me think of something that I would have made when I was in kindergarten with odd paper and glue. Yet when I first saw these earrings, they were like nothing a child could make. I was shocked at how intricately made, and diverse the patterns on the earrings were.

Every pair of earrings, has been handmade. The handmade element is evident, as each pair has its own unique pattern and shape.


When trawling through the box trying to find a pair that I connect with, I find myself daydreaming about the design process. You cannot help but think about how a women from a different community has made something so beautiful that you are now standing here in indecisiveness. She has thought about the colour of the paper, made a pair of earrings and now I’ll be wearing them.


For me, it is as though I am wearing a unique piece of art in the form of earrings, and also honouring the productions process by buying the earrings fair trade.

If you would like more information in regards to the production process or how you can buy the Solomon Island Earrings, you can email us at fairtradewa@oxfam.org.au

Written by Bridie, volunteer at the Fair Trade Shop
Photos courtesy of RL

No comments:

Post a Comment